Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Mind your P's

Well, it's still fall, which means pumpkins are still all over the place, which means I'm a happy girl :-) I've talked about pumpkins before have even come up with a really delicious pumpkin bread pudding back around Sukkos. But this past weekend, I was with my family and we had this outrageously good pumpkin ravioli. I knew I had to do something to replicate this recipe.

When I say that this pumpkin dish was awesome, that's an understatement. It was fresh pasta, stuffed with a velvety smooth pumpkin filling, tossed in a brown butter and sage sauce. It was so good and so perfectly seasoned....but I've never made fresh pasta before, and ravioli is a bit heavy for a weeknight meal. So I decided to borrow all those flavors - the brown butter, the sage, the pumpkin - and combine them into a much simpler, much quicker, and equally delicious dish. It worked out great and it ended up being a perfect single-serving meal. Since I only used about a third of the canned pumpkin, guess what I'll be making again this week for dinner....:-)






Pumpkin Pasta
(serves one)

4oz. (1/4) of penne
1 tbsp. margarine or butter
1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
2/3 cup fat free half-and-half
1/2 tsp. ground sage or poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
parmesan cheese

1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
2. While pasta is cooking, melt butter or margarine in a large skillet. Cook for 3 minutes over medium-high heat, or until it begins to brown.
3. Add pumpkin to browned butter and turn heat down to medium. Add half-and-half and whisk to incorporate. (The mixture should be thick, but if it seems especially lumpy, add more half-and-half.)
4. Season with sage or poultry seasoning, onion powder, sugar, salt, and pepper and allow to cook for 5 minutes.
5. When pasta is finished cooking, reserve 3/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Drain pasta and toss it with the pumpkin mixture, adding the reserved pasta cooking liquid to thin out the sauce.
6. Serve pasta with a liberal sprinkle of parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment