Sunday, December 22, 2013

Crispy Mushroom Napoleons

So you know all those times when you're having a dinner party and you need a simple but delicious appetizer to wow your guests? One where you can just casually reply to your guests, "oh this? You like it? I just whipped it up 10 minutes ago, no biggie"? Yeah, happens to me all the time too. But you're in luck, my friends. This is it.

I made a version of this crispy mushroom napoleon a handful of times a few years ago, but I never blogged it and probably never even wrote down the recipe. And then, this past weekend I had the opportunity to cook something a little bit more special than the average piece of gefilte fish for an appetizer. (Not that there's anything wrong with that every once in a while.) I seem to be on a mushroom kick lately, and I figured I had 2 options for the half-bottle of wine sitting on my counter: drink it up (not that there's anything wrong with that either) or use it productively in a recipe. My better judgment won out and I created a recipe that literally made me say out loud, "oh my gosh, this is so good." The deep rich mushroom sauce could be ladled on anything, but layered between crispy won tons, it was the perfect crunchy accompaniment. No question: this is going to be made again. And soon.

 
Crispy Mushroom Napoleons

serves 4 as an appetizer
 
1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
3 shallots, thinly sliced
10 oz. sliced mushrooms
1 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup flour
1 15-oz. can beef broth
salt and pepper
 
vegetable or canola oil
won ton wrappers (4" wrappers, or egg roll wrappers cut down to size; 3 per serving)
 
1. Heat the 1/4 cup of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and mushrooms and sauté for 10 minutes, or until golden and caramelized.
2. Sprinkle the dried thyme over the vegetables and cook an additional 1 minute.
3. Add the wine and simmer until reduced, about 2 minutes.
4. Sprinkle in the flour and stir to coat; cook for 1 minute.
5. Slowly pour in the beef broth and whisk. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5 minutes, or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
6. In another skillet (or later, in the same skillet), heat 1 inch of oil over medium-high heat. Drop in the won ton wrappers one-by-one and fry on both sides for 30 seconds, until golden. Remove to a paper towel-lined pan to drain.
7. To serve: place one fried won ton in the center of a small plate. Ladle on some of the warm mushroom mixture. Repeat twice until there are 3 layers each of crispy won tons and mushroom sauce.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment