Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Soup-er Dinner

It's finally late fall/early winter, so you know what that means: I finally switched over my closet and now I get to wear all my boots and scarves and coats and fun wintery clothes! It also means that a thick hearty bowl of soup classifies as the perfect meal. There is nothing better than coming home on a cold, wet, almost-winter day, changing into sweats and cuddling up in bed with a bowl of soup. It's the best way to unwind. And today, when it was one of those cold, wet, almost-winter days, I was looking forward to the sweats-and-soup combo since the minute I walked outside this morning.

Broth-y soups don't do it for me on a day like today. I needed something thick with a lot of texture and great flavor. I decided on a corn chowder that I've been throwing together for years. The chunky vegetables make you feel healthy, but the creamy soup is perfect for these cold nights. And did I mention that this is quick? It literally comes together in 20 minutes. All things considered, this isn't a horribly unhealthy soup either - pair it with a salad or a piece of crusty bread, and I'm telling you - it's perfect. This soup can also easily be adapted for a fleishig meal - use real chicken broth and pareve creamer, and it can go both ways! Now, all I want to wash it down is a steaming mug of hot cocoa....mmmm.....


Creamy Corn Chowder


4 tbsp. margarine
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1 bay leaf
1 15-oz. can of corn, drained
1/2 cup flour
4 cups pareve "chicken" broth
2 15-oz. cans of cream-style corn
1 cup fat-free half-and-half
salt and pepper to taste

1. In a large pot, melt the margarine. Add the onion, celery, carrots, bay leaf, and corn and sautee on medium heat for 8-10 minutes, until the vegetables soften.
2. Whisk in the flour and allow to cook for 1 minute.
3. Slowly add the broth, whisking to combine with the vegetables and remove any lumps. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
4. Add the creamed corn and allow to simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes to allow all the flavors to combine.
5. Whisk in the half-and-half. Season to taste. Remove bay leaf before serving.




No comments:

Post a Comment