Monday, December 9, 2013

Comfort Food 101: Roasted Tomato Soup

Well, it was bound to happen - it snowed yesterday. Not nearly as much in NYC as in Maryland, my old stomping grounds, but there was definitely a little bit that stuck! I was driving with some friends earlier in the day and you could just see that the snow was a'comin! So I declared that it was a "pajamas and sweatpants and tomato soup and grilled cheese and hot chocolate night."

So, a few people came over and we had a whole "grilled cheese bar" with add-ons (caramelized onions, tomatoes, basil, different cheeses) that I grilled up fresh, and I had a huge pot of fresh from-real-chocolate (not powder!) hot cocoa for dessert. But the real crowd-pleaser was the fresh roasted tomato soup that I made - perfect for dunking those grilled cheese sandwiches! No cans, no tomato juice - this was the real deal and it was oh-so-good.

I came up with this very simple recipe after looking at a bunch of well-reviewed recipes online and put my own spin on, what I think, is going to be on a pretty constant rotation in my apartment this winter!



Roasted Tomato Soup
Serves 8

5 lbs. of tomatoes, any combination of varieties (I used beefsteak and Roma, because that's what was available at a decent price)
1 large white onion, peeled and cut in quarters
8-10 garlic cloves, whole and peeled
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper
6 cups of vegetable stock
10-15 fresh basil leaves
1/4-1/3 cup of sugar (depends on the tomatoes; I used a full 1/3 cup)
1/2 cup light cream, optional

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Cut tomatoes in half (if they're small-medium sized) or in quarters (if they're large) and scoop out a lot of the seeds, leaving as much of the pulp as you can. Scatter the tomatoes on a large sheet pan in one layer.
3. Add the onion and garlic and toss in a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast for 45 minutes, until soft and caramelized.
4. Transfer tomatoes, onion, and garlic to a large soup pot. Add vegetable stock and basil.
5. Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium-low and simmer for 45 minutes.
6. Using an immersion blender, process the soup until it's smooth. (If using a regular blender, process in batches.)
7. Taste for seasoning and add salt, pepper, and sugar, to taste. (Optional: add light cream and stir.)

1 comment: