Thursday, January 29, 2015

Two For One: Spaghetti Squash and Salmon Patties

I've been making mild attempts to cook for myself more recently, since I've gotten into the bad habit of picking up food on my way home from one of the myriad of kosher grocery stores or restaurants that are within a 2-block radius of my apartment. (As my mom points out, I am lucky that this is an option!) Especially on those weeks when I have a dinner meeting one night, and an event the next night, and dinner plans the next - it almost doesn't make sense (at least, to me!) to buy ingredients and cook for the one night I am home. So I'm just being economical by buying a $15 dinner, instead of spending $15 on ingredients that will just end up going to waste, right? (Humor me.)

So, somehow spaghetti squash made its way into my head last week. I have no idea why - I've literally never cooked with it before. But that was what I wanted to make, and by god, I was going to make it good! (Tomato sauce and cream and caramelized veggies and cheese will do that to any ingredient!) I also decided that I needed a protein to go with it, and decided that salmon patties would win; I have really amazing memories of going to my grandmother's house as a kid for random dinners during the week where she'd serve us salmon croquettes. She'd mash a potato into the mixture and fry up a ton of onions with them. That smell is one that I still remember to this day! Since I can and will never make them as good as my little grandma, I decided to make my own version of her classic - this is not your grandmother's kosher kitchen after all!

Once I finished cooking everything and writing it all down, I realized that by swapping/omitting just a few ingredients, this could be a great Passover dinner! So, guess what I'll be making in a couple months again...if not sooner!


Spaghetti Squash with Creamy Tomato Sauce and Vegetables
serves 2 large portions
 
1 Spaghetti Squash
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
1/2 large onion, chopped
oil
1/2 jar marinara sauce
1/2 cup heavy cream (or half and half)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 bag shredded mozzarella
handful of frozen peas (omit if on Passover)

1. Cut the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out just the seeds.
2. Place both squash halves cut side down in a microwave safe dish and fill with 1 inch of water.
3. Microwave for 12 minutes (rotating the dish halfway). Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, sautee sliced mushrooms and onions in oil on medium-high heat, until browned.
5. Add marinara sauce and allow to start to bubble. Stir in cream.
6. Using a fork, scrape the spaghetti squash halves so that all the "spaghetti strands" come out. Save the squash skins to use as a bowl (optional).
7. Add the spaghetti squash strands to the marinara mixture and stir to combine. Add half of the mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, and the peas; incorporate.
8. Put half of the squash mixture back into each of the squash "bowls" (optional, or just put into a small casserole dish). Top with remaining cheese.
9. Bake at 425 until cheese is browned, about 10 minutes.





Salmon Patties with cucumber dill sauce
serves 2-3

 
Leftover or store-bought poached salmon (or 1 large can of canned salmon with no bones/skin), flaked - I used 2 store-bought fillets of poached salmon, about 8 oz.)

1/8 cup mayonnaise
1 egg
1/8 cup chopped dill
8 oz. sliced mushrooms
1/2 large onion, chopped
3/4 cup panko crumbs (or more if the mixture feels too loose and doesn't hold together) - (on Passover, use matzo meal instead)

1. In a large pan, sautee mushrooms and onions in oil. (I sauteed the veggies with the spaghetti squash veggies from above, and then just used half in each recipe.)
2. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. (If the mixture is very moist, add more panko.)
3. Form patties; I got 5-6 from this mixture.
4. Heat 1/4 oil in a large sautee pan; pan-fry the patties for 2-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
5. Serve warm with cucumber dill sauce.

Cucumber Dill Sauce
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/8 cup sour cream
1/4 cup chopped dill
1 persian cucumber, peeled and seeded, chopped very finely
1/2 tbsp. dijon mustard (omit if on Passover)
1/2 tsp. chopped garlic
salt and pepper
1/4 cup cream (or milk or water)

Combine all ingredients, adding cream (or milk or water) until desired consistency. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment